Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Celebrating 12 Years in Print:



For Marita Golden, Marie Brown, Judy Sapp, Matthew Miller and Christine Wilkinson, who all believed even when I didn't.

It has been a long time habit of mine to wake up at 4 a.m. to write.

This morning I woke up to play "catch up" with my classes at the university.

In the shower, I bemoaned the fact that since the beginning of the semester I had spent little to no time dedicated to the final edit passes on  a book that I have been working on for several years. These spells of nonwriting always spiral me into the  Am-I-A-Real-Writer? place. It's a dark place that makes me fatter and dreary and mean.

The water was spraying, I was trying desperately to at least write a poem in my head so that my writerly lust had been satisfied for the day.

Nothing.

Then I thought about my first book Blackberries, Blackberries.

Twelve years? Really?

Yes! I have been in print for 12 years so that is something to celebrate.

What made me think of it in the first place?

Today is the final day that you can get this first work of mine for $1.99 through Amazon's Top 100 Kindle Books for $3.99 or less chosen by the editors of AmazonEncore for January. I meant to do a bit of self promotion earlier in the month but life got in the way. So there! Twelve years (whoo-hoo). Buy the Kindle version for $1.99 (whoo-hoo). I feel slightly better like a teeny tiny baby step toward feeling better. But I will embrace it before that witch on my other shoulder throws back her head, laughs and says "So what heifer it's been ten years...." Blah. Blah. Blah.She's queen of the dark Am-I-A-Real-Writer place (cave).

Now off to campus and maybe I can squeeze in some time to get these edits done and keep the woman who lives in the cave who rears her head to mock me in the shadows

 

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on 12 years! i heard you read at Hindman a couple of years ago..perhaps from the WIP? If so, keep on keepin' on...I will always remember that reading. Powerful. Well-done, well-written. And maybe we can get your witch and mine (the queen of the cave of the Never Published) together on a cruise so they will leave us the heck alone!

    Yours,

    Portia Pennington

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Portia. I hope your witch stays at bay.

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading Blackberries, Blackberries and I there was no way I could have predicted the ending of the book. I loved reading about the characters. They were a lot like the people that I grew up hearing the eldery whisper about at the quilt frame. I had never heard of you but my son purchase me a Kindle for Christmas and I saw the reviews and was glad I did. Keep up the great work and now you are one of my favorite authors. Thanks for the stories. Wanda Jamerson

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 30 a man should know himself like the palm of his hand, know the exact number of his defects and qualities, know how far he can go, foretell his failures - be what he is. And, above all, accept these things.
    Albert Camus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Der Krieger wow gold kaufen ist die stärkste Klasse im Spiel. Sie sind die besten Tanks in Raids. Aber sie töten langsam auf einem niedrigeren Niveau, wenn Sie schneller gegner töten wollen, müssen sie ein höheres Level erreichen.Der Jäger ist der erste Charakter, weil sie begleiter haben und kaum sterben , es sei denn, are being robbed or ripped off. Sie sind nicht hoch bei Raids angefordert, aber sie sind mein wow gold extrem leistungsstark in PvP-Kämpfen. ürde die gleichen Dinge wie andere Führer werden, sondern muss überlegen und haben bessere Eigenschaften als die anderen, es muss Ihnen was Sie benötigen. Also, was ein Ultimate WoW Guide enthalten sollte?Erstens muss es einen Einsteiger-Anleitung, die neuen Spielern helfen können, um das Spiel zu verstehen und ihnen helfen, wow account ihre erste mount bei Erreichen der Stufe 40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this information.It is really informative and helpful for the people.
    Regards:spine surgery india

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on 12 years! Angela Jackson Brown put me in touch with your blog, and I certainly can relate to the feeling of not writing. I grow anxious if I pass several days without putting finger to keyboard or pen to paper. My first novel comes out next March (I share publishers with Angela), so all this self-promotional stuff is getting in the way of my writing.

    I welcome you to follow my Tumblr blog, with many of my posts on my own writing struggles. davidkalishwriter.tumblr.com/

    Dave Kalish

    ReplyDelete